NAVIGATIONAL WATCHKEEPING OFFICER ON NEAR COASTAL VOYAGE (NWKO-NCV)
Information regarding the above course
1. APPROVED INSTITUTIONS: Institution conducing the above course must have a Document of Approval' issued by the Chief Examiner of Master & Mates" for the above course.
2. RESPONSIBILITY FOR VERIFICATION OF DOCUMENTS : At the time of admission of a student to the course, the responsibility for verification of identity date of birth and other documents and applicants shall be that of the head of institution.
3. ELIGIBILTY :
3.1 Pass in class Xth or equipment from a board recognized by the Govt. of India or other BIMMS countries and
3.2 36 months sea service as cadet or a seamen in a Deck Department on a Trading Ship. A person who has been a cadet or seamen in the Deck Department and / or not on a Training Ship, must get his eligibility certified by the Chief Examiner of Master and Mates or his authorized examiners as under Assessment Rules reproduced (from META MANNUAL) for ready reference as attachment at Annex I-A and
3.3 Certificate of physical fitness for sea service on ILO format issued by a shipping companies approved doctor including eye sight 6x6 in each eye (colour blindness not acceptable) and unimpaired hearing and
3.4 Sight test certificate issued by the Mercantile Marine Department ( MMD) not more than 12 months earlier. Final decision for eligibility of a candidate to appear for NWKO-NCV examination based on approval of prescribed sea service shall rest with the Chief Examiner of Master and Mates.
4. ORIGINAL DOCUMENTS : Documents to be produced in original:
4.2 CDC (if any) and
4.3 Documents in support of para 3 above
Note : Passport will also be acceptable as a proof of nationality & date of birth.
5. COPIES OF DOCUMENTS : A Xerox copy of each of the document required in para 4 above, shall be retained by the institution for record for a period of at least five years. Since the original documents would be scrutinized by the institution, attestation of Xerox copies retained are not necessary.
6. STANDARDIZED ADMISSION FORMS : Admission forms shall be in a standard format as per specimen supplied by the Principal, LBS CAMSAR, Mumbai hereafter referred to as The Principal or ' The college ' as appropriate.
7. DURATION OF COURSE: The course shall be four months with duration with requisite modular courses of additional duration.
8. NECESSARY ATTENDANCE : 90% attendance in class is normally necessary. In exceptional circumstances, to be recorded in writing by the head of institution, attendance of not less then 75% may be acceptable subject to satisfactory performance in the internal assessment tests (IATs) conducted by the institution.
9. LIST OF STUDENTS : Within 7 working days of commencement of each course the head of the institution shall send by speed post to the Principal a list of students and a copy of a admission form of each student, admitted to the course.
10. NATIONAL DATABASE NUMBER : The principal shall send back to the institution a copy of the list after allotting each student an Indian National Data base of seafarers Number (Indos No.) Such INDOs No. has already been allotted, such number should be prominently written on the application form.
11. CENTRAL CONTROL OF EXAMINATION : The NWKO-NCV written examination shall be centrally controlled by the Principal, LBS CAMSAR.
12. EXAMINATION STRUCTURE : Candidates eligible for NWKO-NCV Certificate of Competency will be required to appear for following examinations ( after completion of four months approved course) in four functions viz:
Function : Navigation at the Operational Level
Paper 1 Coastal Navigation - 2 Hrs.
Paper 2 Practical Navigation - 3 Hrs.
Paper 3 Meteorology Paper - 2 Hrs.
4 Bridge Watch Keeping & Emergencies - 3 Hrs.
Above written examinations will be followed by:
1. Communication - Visuals & Orals Examinations in signals
2. Radar Observer Simulator Course - 2 weeks
3. ARPA Simulator Course - 1 week
Successful completion of above followed by an oral examination in MMD, will entitle the candidate to complete this function.
II Function : Cargo Handling & Stowage at the operational level
Paper 5 Cargo Handling & Stowage - 3 Hrs.
Successful completion of above, followed by an oral examination in MMD will entitle the candidate to complete this function
III Function : Controlling of Operation of ships and care for persons on Board at the operational level.
Paper 6 - Ship Construction & Stability,Ship Safety, Environment Protection & Personnel Care - 3 Hrs
Above written examination will be followed by
1. Personnel Safety & Social Responsibility (PSSR) if not already done- 3 days
2. Proficiency in Survival Crafts & Rescue Boats (PSCRB) if not already done - 1 week
3. Advanced Fire Fighting Course - 1 week
4. Medical First Aid - 1 week
Successful completion of above, followed by an oral examination in MMD will entitle the candidate to complete this function.
Alternatively, a candidate can opt to take up one combine oral examination (instead of three functions wise separate orals) and complete the process of certification for OIC EW-NCV.
IV. Function : Radio Communication
GMDSS Course - 2 weeks
13. QUESTION PAPAERS : question papers used for the written examination may be taken away by the candidates, after the examination.
14. IDENTIFICATION OF CANDIDTE IN EXAMINATION HALL: Heads of institutions conducting exams shall verify the identity of every candidate, before the start of each paper, to prevent impersonation.
15. EVALUATION BOARD : The principal shall arrange for the answer scripts to be evaluated by a board of examiners.
16. COMMUNICATION OF RESULTS : The Principal shall arrange to communicate the results of the examination to:-
i) Heads of the concerned institutions
ii) Chief Examine of the Master and Mates, and
iii) Entered in the National Database of seafarers
17. MAIN ORALS : For oral examination, candidates may apply to the MMD with
17.1 Proof of passing the NWKO NCV written examination
17.2 Proof of 36 months qualifying service of which at least 12 months must be approved service in the deck department of a Trading Ship
17.3 Proof of at leas 6 months watch keep experience under the supervison of certificated watch keeping officer. This Watch keeping may be done at any time before the oral examibnation and may be performed during he stipulated period of 36 months
18. COMPLIANCE: The above certification will be as under MS (STCW) Rules, 1998