M.S. Notice 3 of 2002
Sub: Renewal of Continuous Discharge Certificate-cum-Seafarers Identity Document (CDC).
In super-session of M.S. Notice No.8 of 2001, issued vide this Directorate's letter No.27(1)CR/2000 dated 16th March 2001, the Director General of Shipping and ex-Officio Addl. Secretary to the Govt. of India, in exercise of powers conferred on him in accordance with clause 1 of section 456 of Merchant Shipping Act 1958, is pleased to direct that replacement / renewal of "Continuous Discharge Certificate-cum-Seafarers Identity Document (CDC)" may be issued to any Indian seafarer, who is in possession of a CDC issued under the Merchant Shipping (Continuous Discharge Certificate) Rules, 1960 and 1993, by way of prescribed CDC renewal certificate (copy enclosed). There will be no requirement for the candidates to forward their original CDCs to the Shipping Master and their CDCs will be revalidated initially for a period of ten years, without their personal presence in the Shipping Office. The candidate is to affix the CDC renewal certificate, which will be in the form of a sticker, on the "additional page for office use" of the CDC. This form will be forwarded to the applicants by the Shipping Master(s), by speed post/registered post and thereafter the candidate may affix his/her signature at the place provided in the renewal certificate. The candidates are required to adhere to the following guidelines:-
1. The candidate is required to make an application to the Shipping Master, who had issued the CDC, in the prescribed format by Registered Post or Speed Post or through a Branded professionally run Courier Service.
2. Attested zerox copy of CDC, along with three copies of stamp size photographs (3cms x 2.5cms) and self addressed envelope (size 5" x 12") with Rs.60/- (Rupees sixty only) postage stamp affixed, may be forwarded along with the application.
3. The application for renewal of CDC may be made on expiry of the CDC or within six months prior to the date of expiry of the CDC.
4. The CDCs issued under the Merchant Shipping (Continuous Discharge Certificate) Rules, 1960 will continue to be accepted as valid for all lawful purposes.
5. It will not be mandatory for a seafarer to renew the CDCs which are issued under the Merchant Shipping (Continuous Discharge Certificate) Rules, 1960, in accordance with this notice,for being engaged on board an Indian or a foreign flag vessel. The renewal of CDCs will be carried out in accordance with this notice only for the following categories :-
(i) CDCs issued under 1960 rules with torn/worn out photographs.
(ii) CDCs issued under M.S. (CDC) Rules 1993 and 2001, on expiry of their validity period.
6. In case of CDCs, where the pages for engagement and discharge have been exhausted, the holders of the same may apply for additional CDCs, alongwith two recent passportsize photographs and DD for Rs.1000/- in favour of the Shipping Master of the concerned port.
7. A processing fee of Rs.1000/- is required to be paid for issuance of duplicate CDCs, in accordance with Rule 14 of MS (CDC) Rules, 2001. However, no fee will be charged for issuance of renewal certificates.